In Huritini we aim to provide a safe and nurturing environment for tamariki to learn and thrive in their first two years at school. With a focus on hauora | wellbeing, we endeavour to learn about the passions and strengths of the ākonga | students and support them to develop the skills and competencies they will need to flourish now and in the future.
In Huritini we:
- Foster social and emotional skill development, creative and critical thinking, and self-motivated learning through Play
- Promote and model our Halswell School Values of Whanaungatanga, Manaakitanga, Kaitiakitanga, Manawanuitanga and Kotahitanga
- Support children in becoming ‘drivers’ of their learning and encourage them to develop a growth mindset
- Offer a concept-based curriculum that enables ākonga | students to transfer their understandings across learning areas and make connections to their own experiences
- Sustain New Zealand’s bicultural heritage by integrating tikanga and te reo Māori into our learning environment
- Prioritise teaching and learning in the core learning areas of maths, writing and reading with groupings based on their academic and/or social learning needs
- Support children with a wide range of enrichment programmes
- Value the partnership between whānau/home and school as an integral part of supporting children’s learning and development
Huritini consists of two learning studios, Whio (T10, T11 and T12) and Tī Kōuka (T13, T14 and T15).