The team in Otawhito aim to make learning fun, purposeful, challenging and rewarding. We work collaboratively to provide the children with a wide range of activities and experiences that are targeted to their needs and interests. Our children are encouraged and supported to be self directed in their learning. Through our ACTIVE curriculum, we maintain a strong focus on developing the skills needed to be successful global citizens.
In Otawhito we have a focus on:
- Incorporating the use of IT into all aspects of the school day.
- Self directed learning through workshop style programmes in literacy and numeracy.
- Growth mindset and the development of Halswell School values (Care, Honesty, Respect and Resilience).
- Inquiry learning as a way to develop skills in questioning, exploring, investigating and presenting.
- Individualised reading programmes based on the “Daily 5” model.
- Grouping that is flexible and based on the needs of the students.
- Acknowledging New Zealand’s biculturalism by integrating tikanga and Te Reo into our learning programmes and by providing regular Whanau afternoons.
In Otawhito we offer:
- An annual 3 day camp for Y5 and Y6 students.
- Weekly winter sports exchange in Term 2 with other local schools.
- A range of competition opportunities – eg: Jump Jam, sports competitions at Zone and Canterbury level, Literacy Quiz, Spelling Quiz, Current Events Quiz, EPro8 Challenge, Otago Maths Problem Challenge.
- Many musical opportunities – Orchestra, Senior Choir, Vocal Group, Jazz Band, School Production
- ICAS Competitions (Digital Technology, Science, Writing, Spelling, English, Mathematics)
Mrs Anita Head
Team Leader / T30 Teacher
Miss Natasha Fraser
Mrs Carolyn Adams
Mrs Leigh Hurford
Miss Brooke McFaul
Mrs Chelsea Love
Miss Debbie Kingsland
Your browser does not support iFrames.