In Zone Enrolments
Please be aware that Halswell School has an enrolment scheme and only children who meet certain criteria, such as living within zone, are guaranteed entry. Please visit the School Zone website for more information.
Out of Zone Enrolments
Each year the Board will determine if any ‘Out of Home Zone’ Pre-Enrolments and Enrolments will be made available and if so, the number of places that will be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the ‘Home Zone’.
The Board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for the enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First Priority – this priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary.
- Second Priority – will be given to applicants who are siblings of current students
- Third Priority – will be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth Priority – will be given to applicants who are children of Board employees.
- Fifth Priority – will be given to all other applicants.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary under Section 11G (1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school.
In 2016 and 2017 the Board will continue to accept priority 2, 3 and 4 children and NO places for priority 5 children will exist.
Children who live outside the school zone cannot be guaranteed entry.
For answers to any questions that you may have please don’t hesitate to contact us.
The Enrolment Process
If you are in zone and wish to enrol your child please complete our provisional enrolment form.
Bring the following items into our school office (office hours 8.30-4pm Monday-Friday)
- A copy of the child’s NZ birth certificate or NZ passport (if NZ citizen).
- Copy of child’s Australian passport (if Australian citizen).
- Copy of child’s NZ residency permit or valid copy of child’s NZ student visa/permit and parent’s work permit (if the child is not a NZ citizen).
- Immunisation certificate
- Proof of your address (i.e. Power or telephone account, Purchase or Rental Agreement). We are unable to accept any in zone enrolments without the requested proof that you live in our zone.
New Entrant Enrolment
It is helpful to us to know, as soon as possible, of your intention to enrol your child at Halswell School. Please contact the school office and ask to be put on the pre-enrolment list. This does not ensure enrolment if you are ‘out of zone’. The information will only be used for the purpose of predicting future roll numbers and does not in any way bind you to send your child to Halswell School. You may change your mind.
Approximately six weeks prior to your child commencing school an enrolment pack giving details of the enrolment process will be sent to you. Included in this pack are enrolment forms, uniform information, and details of transition to school visits for you and your child. Before your child starts school there will be three Tuesday visits from 10:00-12.00pm. While your child gets to know their classmates and teachers in their Learning Centre we run parent orientation sessions in the staffroom. These include tips for a smooth transition and for helping with learning at home, a tour of the school, an overview of our curriculum and information about the learning programme in our New Entrant Learning Centre. When you arrive for the first visit you and your child will be greeted by some of our senior students who will support your child and help make the first visit an enjoyable experience.
Parents are also welcome to visit and use the New Entrant playground prior to their children commencing school.